calling queryDevice, isSuccess randomly returns false

Help for Z-Command related issues only
kmeurer

calling queryDevice, isSuccess randomly returns false

Postby kmeurer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:14 pm

I am seeing an issue where I am calling /api/querydevice/{nodeId}, and randomly, isSuccess is false, but the data is all in responseObject.

The node that I am querying is a BinarySwitch. I wish I could give you more details than this but it's so random I don't know what's causing it.

Keith

admin
Site Admin

Re: calling queryDevice, isSuccess randomly returns false

Postby admin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm

By the very nature of wireless [z-wave] networks, it could be due to several things.
Let's start by looking at these:
  • How close is the switch to the controller?
  • How good is your mesh network? Are there other signal repeaters if the distance between the switch and controller is large?
  • How about interference, is that a possibility?
  • Could Z-Command be so busy with other devices such that your query times out before it's done sometimes?

kmeurer

Postby kmeurer » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:19 pm

admin wrote:How close is the switch to the controller?
How good is your mesh network? Are there other signal repeaters if the distance between the switch and controller is large?
How about interference, is that a possibility?
Could Z-Command be so busy with other devices such that your query times out before it's done sometimes?

It's probably one of the closer switches.
I have 11 swithes total, 7 of which are the Aeon switches with power meter.. I haven't had any issues with any of the switches when run from the ZCommand UI.
It's entirely possible the query times out but as I said, I don't seem to have issues with the ZCommand's pages, just when I use the API.

I've been looking at this all day, I just thought I'd throw it out there that this is what I was seeing and see if there was something glaringly obvious from the API perspective. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong in the way I'm getting the switches, but I just can't see what it is yet.

kmeurer

Postby kmeurer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:02 am

The real answer was "why call querydevice on a switch at all?"

Querydevice is an abuse of your zwave network and should be avoided if possible.

Let your devices report to the ZCommand when a state or level changes and just ask the ZCommand what the state is or use the event log to get the level.

Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions, it helps just to ask them sometimes to get the forest out of the way of the tree!

Return to “Z-Command help”